So in case you hadn’t noticed, I’m big on lists, and as I haven’t yet started my big adventure, all that’s left to do is dwell on previous adventures… ahh memories.
Which is precisely why I have started a series of Top 10 Lists. Everything from the food I would chop off my right arm to be able to eat again, to things I’ve learned about myself while travelling (a riveting read I must say ;)).
So in light of the above, here lies my Top 10 bucket list moments that I am proud to have ticked off…so far.
10. See the Terracotta Warriors in Xian, China – Ever since I can remember I’ve wanted to visit the Terracotta Warriors. That dream became a reality when I visited China in 2010.
9. Swim with sharks – While I actually didn’t do this when travelling, I still think it’s worth a mention. I completed this crazy task in 2002 and I didn’t die, or pee in my wetsuit from the sheer terror.
8. Held a snake – though probably not on my original bucket list at the time, I mean, what sane person would intentionally make a plan to do this? I held this baby (not a baby) in Vanuatu in 2005.
7. Kiss an alligator – The lucky fella was a resident of the Everglades in Florida. Oh and this one was a baby. I’m not insane.
6. Go hiking… like real hiking. Possibly not what ‘real’ hikers would consider a ‘real hike’, but for me it was as good as. One of the best experiences I’ve ever had was a 3 day hike in Thailand in 2011, where on our third day we got to ride elephants the rest of the way. Probably the prouder moment was that I didn’t pass out, more so than the actual hike itself.
5. Visit Miami Ink Tattoo Studio in Miami – Not afraid to admit this. I was so excited when I stumbled across the famous studio in Miami in 2008. Unfortunately we didn’t get to spot any of the guys on the show but getting a photo of me in front of the sign was good enough.
4. Go to a baseball game in America – I love baseball and something I have wanted to do since I can remember was go to a game in America. We went to a game in Washington 2008, and it was everything I imagined it would be, and more. High 5’s from random strangers, fanatical fans and Budd Light. What more can a girl ask for?
3. Jet Boating in Montreal – Imagine splashing water over your face and it being so cold that it hurts when it hits your skin. That’s an understatement. I described this experience at the time as feeling like I was going to die one minute and feeling so invigorated the next. It was one of the best things I’ve ever done.
2. Eat a grasshopper in Thailand – definitely another one that wasn’t on my original to do list. I’m not usually the type to participate in such shenanigans (ie. eating weird food) but when our tour guide presented a group of us with a bag full of deep-fried grasshoppers, I had to do it. FYI, it tasted like chicken, and I’m not kidding.
1. Climb the Great Wall of China – Not only did I get to the top of the wall, I climbed every one of those thigh burning, heart attack inducing steps to get there, all with a cold mind you. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for years and I’m really proud of myself for having done it. Yay me !